Why is it important to have a good vocabulary?
- A large vocabulary will improve your general communication skills.
- It will improve your understanding of the issue when you watch a film, listen to a discussion on the radio, read a book or when you are talking to a friend.
- When you are talking to a friend you can gain a better understanding of his/her feelings/emotions. It does not necessarily mean that you will have more empathy but a large vocabulary (combined with a sensitive disposition) can help you tune in to the specific feelings/emotions of the person you’re talking to.
- A large vocabulary will increase your knowledge. Many words are referring to objects in the world. Botanists and neurologists do not only know the meanings of more words about trees, shrubs and flowers, and brains, spinal cords and neurotransmitters than other people; they know more about plants and brains than laymen.
- The larger your vocabulary the faster your body of knowledge will accumulate. This is called the Matthew effect.
- Your thinking skills will improve. Words can be described as the main vehicles for the transmission of meaning.
- You will be able to express your ideas more clearly when you have a large vocabulary. Persons with good vocabularies are more eloquent and they are able to write more articulately.
- You will be able to express your feelings more clearly when you have a large vocabulary.
- You will be able to communicate more effectively. You will be able to express your ideas clearly; having a larger vocabulary means that you can make finer distinctions. Your communication will be more nuanced. You should be able to use the appropriate words in certain situations.
- You should be able to construct a logical argument better than someone with a limited vocabulary. Words entail other words and exclude other words.
Improving your vocabulary should not be an end in itself. One should improve your vocabulary in order to improve your understanding, your thinking, your listening skills and your reading skills.
The Importance of Vocabulary in Writing
Top three Reasons to Improve Your Vocabulary
Easy Ways to Improve and Expand YOur Vocabulary